Sunday, February 05, 2006

OK Computer

I've also been thinking more about the inherent alienation that occurs in our place and time. I realized, thinking back with some other people, that it's hard for us to remember how we 'functioned' without email, without instant messaging, without cell phones. Which, to be honest, wasn't that long ago; basically high school for most of us. And I must confess, I don't remember how my friends and I found each other, or planned to do things. But I do remember that it worked, somehow.
I somehow get the suspicion that as our 'connectivity' has increased, our 'connections' have decreased. A few friends that I have not seen for long while and I realized that we could've easily maintained our 'relationship' at the 'occasional email' level, and been able to go the rest of our lives without laying eyes on one another, and yet, still kind of called each other 'friends'. I think also the lack of responsibility or accountability by simply sending a few sentences by email demonstrates our lack of committment. Um, that doesn't quite make sense: I think I was mulling and expounding on this a bit further a few days ago, but I think to write it here would turn it into a mini-essay....
I think I am starting to rebel against the 'email conversation' (unless, by virtue of vast distances - more than just Mississauga to Scarborough- or business, makes that necessary). I think it is possible to start a new revolution of people actually speaking to one another. Perhaps even revolutionary hand-written letters (and postcards!). I am tired of group semi-spam with 'conversations' that only a few respond to that no one listens to. I am tired of not listening enough, and of not being heard. I think in the cacophony of the city, one's own small voice disappears amongst ring tones and beeps and firewalls.
Of course, I recognize the inherent irony of making that kind of announcement in a semi-anonymous medium as a blog...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Julia,

Very Sideshow-Bobesque :)

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts, Julia - and I totally agree about the loss of connections in spite of our apparent "connectivity". That said, living on the other side of "the pond", I'm thankful to God that I do live in an age where I can "instantly" connect to family and friends! Keep up the great comments - you are being "heard"!