Friday, April 18, 2008

The invisible workers

No, this isn't a rant about the plight of labourers the world over... this is actually wondering something else; on my way from work, there's a ramp connecting two highways which last summer was closed down to a single lane for a good chunk of the whole summer in order to repave it or something. They've just started the other side this week, and so have shut down all the lanes, except for one.
My question is, however, where all the workers actually are? I've been driving by at 1, 2, 3pm in the afternoon and have yet to see a single person, let alone a machine, in the whole area they've shut down. I'd understand, perhaps, if I was driving by at 5 or 6pm and no-one was there; I could explain it by saying it was after the work day. However, to not see anyone there in the middle of the afternoon? This doesn't really make sense to me. And certainly, I would imagine they would need some sort of machinery to help them do some of this imaginary work. Can anyone explain this to me, as it boggles my mind that they would block several kilometres of major highway and not actually do any work on it?

No comments: