Saturday, April 26, 2008

Switzerland I

So there are several things that the Swiss do that I note are strikingly similar to how I understand the world. The first is that of wearing socks with sandals; apparently they find it incredibly dirty to wear sandals without socks. I don't particularly think that, but I do like wearing my Birkenstocks with socks. I was actually going to walk out in my sport sandals this morning, sans socks, until my sister pointed out that truism about the Swiss, so I threw on some socks, and, lo and behold, so was everybody else! Secondly, I do also note the extreme punctuality here of all the transport system (I saw the last-second TTC strike on the Star's webpage - the bastards!) - no train, bus or ferry has actually been late; they show up on time, leave on time, and no delays! It's amazing, and jealousy provoking compared to the dumbass service from the TTC.
Thirdly, I'm also noting the care about food that the Swiss take; did you know they only have Fair Trade bananas available for sale here? You can't buy conventional bananas - good for them! Most of the produce in the stores is organic - organic as standard, not as optional. They also label meat, so that you know the country of origin, as well as whether or not the animal had been treated with antibiotics or not. That's amazing to be able to make some knowledgeable choice when it comes to buying food! Certainly, there's a plethora of cheese (no surprise there) as well.
Those are pretty much my observations thus far; based on those three things alone, I think I would fit in quite well here....

1 comment:

Canadi-Ann said...

hey julia,

i went stork cafe (or whatever it's called) in hanover yesterday. just got back from hanging with matthew's parents there. very cool. i was asking if they knew of any farmers there for you. ;) they'll keep an eye open.

i see you made it safely, have a wonderful time!