Saturday, June 28, 2008

Where to buy groceries

So, sometimes people ask me where to buy food... I think it's less about "where", but rather the "how", which is the important question.
The rise of the corporate supermarket is mainly due to the North American consumer wanting convenience above quality; it is seen as far easier to buy EVERYTHING, from coffee and tin foil, to toilet paper and clothing, all in one "convenient" place, and doing it as infrequently as possible. However, most other places around the world, including continental Europe, the concept consuming fresh produce for supper, buying only what we need for the day, is what we find so delightful about going to France and visiting small marchés. This idea actually partially ties back to the belief that when we pray, "and give us this day our DAILY bread", that we actually MEAN it. It also ties back to the Exodus, when the Israelites were given just enough food for the day, and no one should then have too much or too little to eat.
And thus, it becomes a question of "how" we buy food, not necessarily "where"...
That being said, to list some of my favorite places to buy foodstuffs:

General all-round supermarket: Fiesta Farms, without question. They are an independent supermarket, and that, by itself, is a good enough reason to go. However, they are hugely supportive of local growers and processors, and have much in their aisles that will make you proud to be an Ontarian. I'd go to Culinarium, but it's way too far from my house to make it worthwhile to go. The Karma Food Co-op is another great option, but, again, it's a bit too inconveniently far from my home to make it worth shopping there regularly.

Farmer's Markets: There are tons all around the city. However, be sure that they are actually FARMER'S markets, not just re-sellers (such as the one in High Park - that is simply a re-seller of produce, hence why they have pineapples and mangoes available). A list can easily be found at "'Toronto Farmer's Market Network"

Asian food: This, I can't help; it's part of my DNA. I'm not saying it's ethical, or it's right, but sometimes I just need a good dose of food from the East. Now, there are items at Fiesta Farms, if I was looking for it, but I am a fan of T&T down on Cherry St.

Milk and Dairy:
Milk: Steen's Dairy. They are one of only two independent dairy processors left in the country, all the other ones being bought up mainly by Agropur (not so pure) and Parmalat, both non-Canadian companies.
Yogurt: Liberte's a good choice, though they are based in Quebec. Saugeen County Yogurt makes a decent yogurt as well.
Cheese: We have an embarrassment of riches with regards to cheese in Ontario. You'd never have to buy no-name or Kraft cheeses (which actually have no milk in them anyways!) again.

Fruit and veg:
See above. I'd encourage you to buy seasonal, as much as possible.
Bananas: it is possible to buy Fair Trade bananas in this city!

Grains:
Flour, oats, barley: Grassroots Organics is where I now get my gluten products, as the farmers there grow, process and grind their own grain.

Meat:
There are, again, an embarrassment of riches with regards to meat. Not only are there many who raise great meat, including Kerr's Farms, Beretta Farms, Cumbrae's Farms, but there are many places to buy their products, including (of course) Fiesta Farms, farmer's markets, The Healthy Butcher, Cumbrae's, Butcher by Nature, Fresh from the Farm, Culinarium, etc etc etc.

Other sundry:
Honey: again, there are tons of honey producers in this province. One local variety is actually produced by Foodshare, by Toronto bees feeding on Toronto flowers. That is an easy hook-up, if you want some.
Sugar: I would opt for buying Fair Trade sugar, as I would for chocolate, cocoa, coffee and tea. I usually buy these products at Ten Thousand Villages, mainly because it's all in one place, and you'd be helping support the MCC in their projects as well!

I think that's about it. That's what I do, at least, avoiding the big chains as much as I possibly can; if I never have to walk into any of their stores and buy the processed crap that they sell, or the produce that they gouged out of farmers, then I am glad to do so.
If you have any other questions, or suggestions, then please do send them to me! I'd be glad to hear about more local, ethical produce!

1 comment:

Canadi-Ann said...

Foiled again! I tried to go to the brick works farmer's market on Saturday, and thought it was on the east side of Bayview and didn't go far enough south. :(

Perhaps this Saturday! (what am I doing again?)