Friday, March 28, 2008

About Lent

I had forgotten to mention about my experience in Lent this year; it was the first time I tried to observe it. So I decided to cut out all meat. Which really, for me, is not a terribly arduous task. That being said, I did miss it when I went to a sushi restaurant, and I did have two slip-ups where I totally forgot I was declining meat until after I'd eaten it. However, on the whole, I didn't really miss it that much, and, I didn't really alter my eating style much either (except for the sushi; see above).
Which I suppose is encouraging; it's nice to know that my diet pretty much follows what we're supposed to be eating anyways, that is, infrequent meat eating and more fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
I am not sure if I felt terribly deprived, or that I was lacking in anything, or even (heavens!) that I was sacrificing significantly. Besides, I've only had a bit of chicken since Easter anyways. However, it has allowed me to think a bit more deeply about food issues (?you mean more than usual, Julia, cause you think about it a lot!), as can be noted in recent posts.
Perhaps next year I should try something a bit more challenging, like sugar, or chocolate...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about this recently and was wondering what sort of recommendations you might have for someone who isn't interested in going off meat, but wouldn't mind not having it in every meal? Perhaps the only examples where I go without meat currently would be cases like pasta with a spicy tomato sauce. I can conceive of a tasty dish involving potatos and some kind of vegetables, but maybe you can post some dishes you might recommend?