Friday, March 21, 2008

Hurrah for the Vatican!

I am so glad to hear of the Vatican's new list of additional sins. I kind of wish that the Protestants would have some sort of central authority that could also voice such things. To label polluting, encouraging the dispartity between rich and poor, and deliberately keeping structures that encourage poverty as SIN is a good thing. I am so glad that they can recognize that much of the Church's involvement in those (previously unlabelled) sins have caused a lot of our current woes in our world.
Certainly, I find some of it greatly disturbing and compelling to me, personally. Another sin is having great affluence, at the expense of others - this, I find, is one that speaks to me and my generation. It makes me shudder every time people tell me, "Don't worry, you'll find things to buy for the house" when I scream in my head "NO! That's NOT the point!" I don't need more clothes, I don't need more stuff, I don't need more things.... pretty much, besides a good chef's knife, I'm pretty good, really...

No comments: