Sunday, March 23, 2008

Nice and wriiiiigggggly....

Now, I have never owned pets. I wasn't a "pet" child, with a collection of hamsters and dogs and such. I have, over the past few weeks, however, adopted my first living creatures into my house, though with a totally utilitarian role: my red wrigglers! It's been interesting, noting the slugs, and bugs and worms all crawling around in my garbage. Obviously, it is an utter tragedy to toss out perfectly good organic material into the garbage, and should be turned, and returned, back to the earth it came from. Hence, the worms.
They're not eating all my stuff as quickly as I was hoping (which is odd; I didn't really think I produced that much organic material), though they have cut down my 'real' garbage output to about one grocery bag worth every two weeks. I'm hoping that I don't drown them in too much acidity, or too much moisture, and can keep them happy, especially since I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing and I don't want to kill them.
Hopefully this experiment in my small agricultural endeavour works out...

3 comments:

Canadi-Ann said...

where'd all the slugs come from?

hope your worms are healthy & hungry!

julia said...

Oh, since I didn't get a "sterilized" pack, my worms actually have various other insects that are "normal" to see in regular soil...
though I must say, after I put up this post, I spent two hours airing out my worms, as I noticed a build up of worm parasites - ack!

Peter Zelchenko said...

Yay Julia... Here in Chicago I have the same thought about how much garbage bag I fill in a month. I'm down to about a bag every three weeks or a month. That's pretty sick.

For the second time in a few weeks I've come across your blog when I've done Google searches about saving energy. That means you're cool.