Monday, March 24, 2008

The Prayer of Maimonides

This actually falls under the category of "FFT", but this is really for my own benefit:

O God, let my mind be ever clear and enlightened.
By the bedside of the patient let no alien thought deflect it. Let everything that experience and scholarship have taught it be present in it and hinder it not in its tranquil work. For great and noble are those scientific judgements that serve the purpose of preserving the health and lives of the creatures.
Keep far from me the delusion that I can accomplish all things. Give me the strength, the will, and the opportunity to amplify my knowledge more and more. Today I can disclose things in my knowledge which yesterday I would not yet have dreamt of, for the Art is great, but the human mind presses on untiringly.
In the patient let me ever see only the men, thou, all-Bountiful One, has chosen me to watch over the life and death of the creatures. I prepare myself now for my calling. Stand Thou by me in this great task, so that it may prosper. For without Thine aid man prospers not even in the smallest things.

-Maimonides (1135-1204)

No comments: