Monday, November 05, 2007

Jordan II

I know I don't usually write this frequently when I'm away, but I figure I've got wireless internet for now, and likely, as this trip progresses (and/or internet coverage gets a bit more spotty), then the updates will be less frequent.
One thing I did want to share was some of the aural experience here. Certainly, there is the five times daily call to prayer that rings out throughout the city - technically, I believe they try to situate the mosques such that there is a relatively uniform coverage, so that pretty much everyone can hear the call, if you're listening for it. It's actually not terribly intrusive, except for the morning call, which is at about 4am. Luckily, because of the jetlag, I'm only hearing it and rolling back over in bed, which is a blessing.
The other one was hearing the ice cream truck jingle rolling through our neighbourhood. I asked someone what that was, as I couldn't believe that an ice cream truck would be roaming around a residential neighbourhood at 8am... I've since learned it's actually the propane truck, driving around, full of propane tanks (now is that an accident waiting to happen, or what?) calling people to come out and buy their daily propane needs... since then, I've heard it in all sorts of neighbourhoods at people's houses... only instead of having children run out with their loonies and toonies in hand, you see housewives coming out to get their propane ration for the day... apparently, the guy sitting in the back of the flatbed truck used to just play percussion on all these tanks, but I guess the potential danger of that changed them over to the ice cream tune...
Today, I actually was at a half-day clinic for Iraqi refugees, but mainly worked as a pharmacist, dispensing and doing inventory on medication, as I truly lack language skills (unfortunately, it is incredibly hard to make a real impact without heart language), though I did see some patients, and actually dealt with some interesting pathology, nonetheless. Furthermore, I also taught an ESL class, which is really funny, seeing as I've never taught ESL before. Luckily, the class was much more shatreen (smart) than I, so it ran relatively smoothly, I hope... It was certainly interesting in getting the Jordanian perspective on international politics, that's for sure...

1 comment:

Orchid said...

Neat. Sounds like God has provided a bunch of odds jobs for you to so far...