Monday, November 26, 2007

Lebanon V

One of the things that I've been noticing by the sides of roads and in little crevices here and there are these random shrines to the Virgin Mary both here and in Syria. I couldn't figure out why; they didn't seem to be at particularly dangerous traffic points, not necessarily near religious buildings, nor surrounded by flowers or incense votives. They would simply be pictures or statues of Mary, maybe with a Bible or one plastic flower, encased in a cage. Very odd.
I finally asked someone if they knew what those were for: they told me it was to help prevent litter... hunh? Apparently, people build those little shrines in corners that they don't want litter accumulating, and it ACTUALLY prevents people from littering - obviously only in those corners, as there's plenty everywhere else.
I don't understand why a simple "Do not litter" sign with a rubbish bin wouldn't do... besides, Mary was a mother; I'm sure she could tolerate a bit of mess...

No comments: