Sunday, November 25, 2007

Lebanon III

I hadn't realized how mountainous and lush Lebanon actually is, and how little of it is flat. The flat part is mainly along the coast of the Mediterranean. Now, it's a very tiny little country, so I had realized how small the distances are between towns... in fact, it's at the point where it's all sprawl, all the way up and down the entire coast... we had driven up past a continuous line of development all the way up to three towns up from Beirut! There is very little to distinguish (to the untrained eye) as to when you've actually arrived in the next destination.
I myself am staying in a suburb of Beirut, high in the mountains, and am overlooking Beirut and the Mediterranean as we speak. Due to the tensions of the last few days and recent travelling outside of the capital, I haven't yet been down there very much yet, but I have driven by where Hariri was assassinated (of which the marks of the damage caused by the blast is mind-numbing to see)...

No comments: