Thursday, November 15, 2007

Jordan VII

One of the main things I've found that I've been doing around here is substitute English teaching. It's actually been quite fun, and funny, at times. One of my advanced English classes had to write "news stories" based on a few headlines that I had given them: some of the stories that came out of them were worthy of Bollywood treatment! One of the funniest was about these long-lost identical twins, one of whom had been taken to India when he was a baby. The other, as an adult, travels to India, whereupon he is mistakenly arrested for diamond smuggling. The original twin, also, is arrested for the actual crime, and the two become reaquainted in an Indian jail... after which the adventure ensued...
The other bit of this is the absolute CHEESE that comes out of some of my students' mouths: one of my beginner classes is exclusively young men. We were learning the names of colours, and, when asked to point out various objects that were different colours in the classroom, one young fellow puts his hand to his chest, and pronounces, quite dramatically: "My heart.... is red...", after which I could only roll my eyes and ask him to sit down...
Furthermore, what has been interesting is some of the health perceptions here. One woman I had seen in clinic was very reluctant to have me examine her, as she was terribly anxious that I would find some terrible disease. It took her friends another day to convince her to come back to see me and she was apparently unable to sleep. Overall, she ultimately was simply constipated. The absolute and utter joy she had with that diagnosis was frankly, bizarre. She was kissing the translator and I, and announcing to the rest of the waiting room that I was a "wonderful, excellent doctor" (obviously, she doesn't really know what she's talking about - she clearly is delusional). However, it does speak to the fatalistic, fear-driven culture here - that they would rather not know, and not find out, something that could easily be prevented and cured, as it would be insha'allah to interfere otherwise.
The degree to which fatalism plays into decision-making and lifestyle is sad, actually, as is the ability to believe in two completely contradictory statements simultaneously. One such example was a magazine article that I was shown about 'how to deal with women in the workplace'. Of course, as women are clearly temptresses and unable to control their abilities to seduce men, they really should not be in the workplace to lead men astray. However, if it is insisted that a woman should be working, then what the men should each do is suckle at her breast twice daily for five days at the office - this apparently will strengthen a "family bond" between them, and then they will be like mother and son, and work together accordingly. HELLO?????? I know I've heard many idiotic things in my life, but certainly, this is one of the most brain-stupefying things I have ever heard about, particularly in the context that they want women to be fully covered - but just not in this case - instead, it is a good idea for women to be fully exposed in public, and not only that, but violated in public at the workplace. Drives me absolutely batty... it does, of course, speak to the general perception of woman as maternal virgin/woman as seductive whore imagery that has been plaguing women for centuries... oh wait, I thought I wasn't going to start on issues of sexuality and gender here...

No comments: