Thursday, November 08, 2007

Jordan III

There are a bunch of observations that I wanted to make, but I am not convinced that they would be coherent, one with the other, but we'll see how I make do:
I have never met so many Americans personally in my lifetime, I believe, as I have in the past few days. This is both SUPER, and not so great. I am greatly encouraged by seeing how plentiful they are, how willing they are to take part and doing what they are called to do. I totally love the hospitality and the size of the personalities of Americans - they are so big, their personalities come right over, invite you in, and give you a big hug hello! However (and this is TOTALLY NOT an observation based on people that I've met; rather, it's more from observing the dominant culture), I can begin to get a sense (right! How arrogant of me to say after one week that I can understand Middle East/Western tensions!) of why we in the West are so despised. Recognizing of how many economies out here are inextricably linked with that of the USA, how dependent they are on American investment, infrastructure, etc, how there is the love of the entrepreneurial spirit, but hate of the cultural values that come with that - I think there is a sense of, kind of like Gollum, a love-hate relationship that ultimately eats at and consumes the very one that wants what it cannot have... if that makes any sense... probably not...
I think this could lead into the very warped (not that we don't have our own neuroses in the West) views of sexuality and women, but that would get too complex, so instead I'll go onto another ethnic observation: For some reason, Chinese women are generally perceived here to be prostitutes. I suspect, sadly, that this is because many Chinese women are trafficked here for massage parlours and brothels. This has, of course, been a bit problematic for me. I have to articulate quite clearly that I am Canadian, I am NOT Chinese, I am of Korean heritage, I am NOT Chinese. It's helpful that I'm much taller and bigger than the average Asian female anyways, so I'm usually assumed to be Korean or Japanese anyways, which are ethnicities that are 'in the clear' (because both cultures are much less likely to traffic their own women).
I think that's all I'll write for now, as I have to go teach another English class (funny that! I had no idea what a gerund was until a few days ago!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Julia,

While I've never actually been to the Middle East, if one is going to make an observation of their view of the West, I don't think it can be made without consideration to Colonialism, Israel/Palestine issues, the current war(s), and of course, the Crusades. I don't want to contradict what you sense there, as I'm sure that Western Materialism definitely factors in. I just think that in addition to what you see, there are ages old animosities that must be considered as well.

Someone once said that "history doesn't die" in the Middle East. Even if some injustice was perpetrated against them generations ago, attitudes persist in the culture that have somehow preserved the same feelings of suspicion. When these kinds of attitudes prevail, they will be looking for fault. If this is the case, I really don't think the West stands a chance to improve its status in the eyes of Middle Easterners by means of any reasonable gesture. Any action the West has done recently either confirms what they already believe about us, or is trying to hide our true nature. For true reconciliation, history might have to "die", or at least be forgiven.

It's good to hear that the personal face shown to Jordanians is of the most personable kind. Through the examples of people like you and the other folks you meant who are trying to help, I'm sure that a different view of the West is being displayed. I hope that someday the connection between that personal face and the more abstract view of the West can be reconciled in their culture.

Blessings and power on you during your stay!