Monday, November 12, 2007

Jordan VI

So, I just went out into one of the wadis and spent the night out in a "traditional" (though modified for tourists' tastes) Bedouin tent. It was in a wadi surrounded by massively huge sandstone mountains, which were incredibly beautiful. Again, not a local woman to be seen all day and all night. Ate lovely food over the fire, tried playing the oud (which is a traditional stringed instrument - very beautiful to listen to, unless I'm playing it - then, it's just ugly and sad), given the tabla to play instead (which is a djembe-type instrument), which worked much better, saw some camels wandering through the desert (how picture perfect - a caravan of camels traipsing along a sand dune), got a marriage proposal (what a big surprise), and smoked some sheesha (though, I learned I apparently don't know how to breathe properly, as I couldn't get the nargileh to work and somehow got the coals to burn out, which is the opposite of what it's supposed to do - that just figures; being told I don't know how to breathe...).
This brings up again the point of the dissertation I would write about sexuality here that completely baffles me, but I still won't. However, one of our stops was this huge 500m high sand dune that our guide wanted us to climb in order to admire the view (which, admittedly was quite breathtaking). Well, one of the girls, who runs marathons, clambered up OK, and the men wouldn't be eligible for "help" from the guide, so guess who needed help? Well, that would be, uh, me. Managed to get up about halfway, and wanted to take a breather, maybe some photos. Turn around and start climbing up again, and the guide comes up behind me, grabs my butt and starts pushing me up from behind. I'm, like, "Dude, that is totally OK, I don't need a bum-push up the dune, I'll get there in my own time"... This, combined with a marriage proposal, and getting literally leered at while wearing my baggy khakis, my head covered, and a T-shirt that is two sizes too big was just a little bit too much for me and my pseudo-feminist tendencies for one day...

No comments: